September 21, 2024, 12:56:05 am

News:

Welcome to the Frayed Knot EverQuest Discussion forums. This discussion forum is for the exclusive use of the members of the Frayed Knot guild and their authorized guests. Any use other than that authorized by the forum owner and administrators is prohibited.

The Moat

Started by medimus, August 09, 2024, 06:05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

medimus

A bored king announced a contest for all the men in the kingdom, saying that the winner would name their prize, up to and including getting his gorgeous daughter as his bride.  He didn't say what kind of contest it would be, but his daughter's renowned beauty drew many brave contestants.

On the day of the contest there were a hundred men gathered around the entrance to the castle, and when the king and his daughter appeared on the drawbridge he pointed to the moat below him. It was filled with alligators and crocodiles, and occasionally a school of piranha could be seen flashing in the sunlight.  The king announced, "The first man to dive into the moat, safely cross it, and join me on this bridge will win the contest.  Which of you has the courage to claim their prize?"

The men all took one look at the terrifying creatures that called the moat home and backed away.  Beautiful though she may be, none thought the prize worth their life.

The king shook his head in disgust and turned to walk back into his castle when suddenly everybody heard a splash.  They all looked around and found a man swimming through the moat with all his might.  Twisting and turning he fended of the attacks of the hungry beasts, and with a mighty effort he made it to the other side with only a few scratches.  "Congratulations, stranger!" the king shouted.  "Step up and claim your reward!"  From beside him his daughter flashed a gorgeous smile, but to everybody's shock the panting man merely shook his head.  "Well, if not my daughter then surely you want a chest of gold?"  But again, the man just shook his head, trying to catch his breath.  "Then tell me your desire, and if it is in my power I shall give it to you!"

"I only want one thing," the man gasped.  "I want to know who it was that pushed me!"